2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 10 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 1 - SELLING AND OTHER TRADE PRACTICES
ARTICLE 23 - LEASE-PURCHASE AGREEMENTS
§ 10-1-682 - Requirements for written statement of agreement
. Requirements for written statement of agreement
(a) A lease-purchase agreement shall be in the form of a written statement which shall include all of the following:
(1) A brief description of the leased property, sufficient to identify the property to the lessee and lessor including whether the property is new or previously rented or, if a lease is for multiple items, a description of each item may be provided in a separate statement which is incorporated by reference in the primary disclosure statement;
(2) The total amount of any initial payment, including any advance payment, delivery charge, or any trade-in allowance to be paid by the lessee at or before consummation of the lease-purchase agreement;
(3) The amount and timing of payments;
(4) The amount of all other charges, individually itemized, payable by the lessee to the lessor which are not included in the periodic payments;
(5) A statement of the party liable for loss, damage in excess of normal wear and tear, or destruction to the leased property;
(6) The lessee's right to reinstate and the amount, or method of determining the amount, of any penalty or other charge for reinstatement as established in Code Section 10-1-686
(7) The party responsible for maintaining or servicing the leased property together with a brief description of this responsibility;
(8) A statement of the conditions under which the lessee or lessor may terminate the lease;
(9) A statement of the total cost of the lease expressed as the product of the number of payments necessary to acquire ownership of the leased property times the amount of each payment, using the term "cost of lease";
(10) A statement that the lessee has the option to purchase the leased property during the term of the lease-purchase agreement and, at what price, formula, or by what method the price is determined;
(11) A statement that if any part of a manufacturer's warranty continues to cover the leased property at the time the lessee assumes ownership of the property, if allowed by the terms of the warranty, it will be passed on to the lessee;
(12) The fair market value of the leased property at the time it is initially leased to the lessee, using the term "estimated fair market value of the leased property," provided that in the case of property that has been previously leased the lessor may establish a standard value that may be used in lieu of a specific valuation for an individual item; and
(13) The difference between the amount disclosed under paragraph (9) of this subsection and the amount disclosed under paragraph (12) of this subsection, using the term "cost of lease services."
(b) All information required by this Code section shall be stated in a clear and coherent manner, using words and phrases of common meaning. The information shall be appropriately divided and captioned by its sections. All numerical amounts and percentages shall be stated in figures. The information shall also be disclosed by the lessor prior to the signing of the lease by the lessee. All of the information required by this Code section shall be provided directly on the lease contract or instrument or on a separate form. The disclosures described in paragraphs (1), (2), (3), (4), (9), (12), and (13) of subsection (a) of this Code section shall be made clearly, conspicuously, and together in sequence and shall be prominently located on the same page of the contract or other instrument evidencing the lease.
(c) At the lessor's option, information in addition to that required by this Code section may be disclosed if the additional information is not stated, utilized, or placed in a manner which will contradict, obscure, or distract attention from the required information.
Graham Syfert - Jacksonville Lawyer