2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 12 - CONSERVATION AND NATURAL RESOURCES
CHAPTER 4 - MINERAL RESOURCES AND CAVES
ARTICLE 2 - MINING AND DRILLING
PART 3 - SURFACE MINING
§ 12-4-71 - Legislative purpose; duty of Environmental Protection Division to administer part
. Legislative purpose; duty of Environmental Protection Division to administer part
(a) The purposes of this part are:
(1) To assist in achieving and maintaining an efficient and productive mining industry and to assist in increasing economic and other benefits attributable to mining;
(2) To advance the protection of fish and wildlife and the protection and restoration of land, water, and other resources affected by mining;
(3) To assist in the reduction, elimination, or counteracting of pollution or deterioration of land, water, and air attributable to mining;
(4) To encourage programs which will achieve comparable results in protecting, conserving, and improving the usefulness of natural resources to the end that the most desirable conduct of mining and related operations may be universally facilitated;
(5) To assist in efforts to facilitate the use of land and other resources affected by mining so that such use may be consistent with sound land use, public health, and public safety, and to this end to study and recommend, wherever desirable, techniques for the improvement, restoration, or protection of such land and other resources.
(b) The Environmental Protection Division of the department shall administer this part consistent with the above-stated purposes.
Graham Syfert - Jacksonville Lawyer