2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 10 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 4 - WAREHOUSEMEN
ARTICLE 3 - TOBACCO WAREHOUSING
PART 1 - LEAF TOBACCO SALES AND STORAGE
§ 10-4-107.1 - Tobacco contract
. Tobacco contract
(a) As used in this Code section, the term "tobacco contract" means any contract between a tobacco company and a tobacco grower under which the tobacco company contracts to purchase tobacco to be grown by the tobacco grower other than at a tobacco auction.
(b) No tobacco contract for the purchase of tobacco grown in this state shall be valid or binding unless:
(1) The tobacco grower is given the opportunity to have the proposed tobacco contract reviewed outside the business premises of the tobacco company or its agents by an attorney or adviser of the tobacco grower's choosing prior to execution;
(2) The tobacco contract is written in plain English; and
(3) The tobacco contract quotes the provisions of subsection (c) of this Code section.
(c)(1) The tobacco grower shall have a right to cancel a tobacco contract until 12:00 Midnight of the third business day after the day on which the tobacco grower signs the contract.
(2) Notice of cancellation under this subsection shall be given to the tobacco company at the place of business as set forth in the tobacco contract by certified mail or statutory overnight delivery, return receipt requested, which shall be posted not later than 12:00 Midnight on the third business day following execution of the tobacco contract.
(3) In the event of cancellation pursuant to this subsection, the tobacco grower shall refund to the tobacco company within ten days after the cancellation any consideration received by the tobacco grower from the tobacco company under the tobacco contract.
(4) Notice of cancellation given by the tobacco grower need not take any particular form and, however expressed, is effective if it indicates the intention of the tobacco grower not to be bound by the tobacco contract.
Graham Syfert - Jacksonville Lawyer